CHENNAI FRIDAY JUNE 26, 2020 `7.00 PAGES 30 LATE CITY EDITION TN AMONG FIVE STATES TO GET FIRST BATCH OF REMDESIVIR PRICE FIXED AT `5,400 FOR 100 MG Maharashtra, Delhi, Gujarat and Telangana—all hard hit by the pandemic— are the other states to receive the drug named ‘Covifor’, priced at `5,400 for a vial of 100 mg. The suggested dose is 200 mg on the first day of a sixday course, followed by 100 mg per day for the next five days. In total, the cost of a course will work up to `37,800 per patient Hyderabad-based pharma has made available 20,000 vials of the drug that hastens recovery in moderate Covid-19 cases COMING SOON TO VIJAYAWADA, KOCHI ■ ■ ■ In a clinical trial in the US, patients who received the drug recovered, on an average, 31% faster than those who did not In India, remdesivir has been tried previously as part of a WHO solidarity trial to assess its effectiveness against Covid-19 Vijayawada, Kochi, Bhubaneshwar, too will receive the drug soon 1 lakh VIALS OF THE DRUG ARE TO BE MADE IN THE NEXT FOUR WEEKS CHENNAI ■ MADURAI ■ VIJAYAWADA ■ BENGALURU ■ KOCHI ■ HYDERABAD ■ VISAKHAPATNAM ■ COIMBATORE ■ KOZHIKODE ■ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM ■ BELAGAVI ■ BHUBANESWAR ■ SHIVAMOGGA ■ MANGALURU ■ TIRUPATI ■ TIRUCHY ■ TIRUNELVELI ■ SAMBALPUR ■ HUBBALLI ■ DHARMAPURI ■ KOTTAYAM ■ KANNUR ■ VILLUPURAM ■ KOLLAM ■ WARANGAL ■ TADEPALLIGUDEM ■ NAGAPATTINAM ■ THRISSUR ■ KALABURAGI Iruttukadai halwa owner passes away TN’s alarming increase: 3,509 fresh cases, 45 deaths Virus’ growth tracjectory EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE 911 39,999 @ Tirunelveli HARI Singh (70), the owner of the century-old ‘Iruttukadai’, a halwa shop, reportedly died by hanging himself at a private hospital room after he tested positive for Covid on Thursday . It is being suspected that he took the extreme step fearing the disease and the social s t i g m a associated with Covid. No suicide note was found. Sources said Singh was admitted to a Palayamkottaibased hospital for urinary infection a couple of days ago. Since he exhibited Covid symptoms, his swab was tested. After he was informed that he has coronavirus, he reportedly hung himself at his hospital room using a towel. Police sent his body to Tirunelveli Medical College Hospital for postmortem. Meanwhile, his son-in-law, too, tested positive for Covid. The health officials disinfected the houses of Singh and his son-in-law. The occupants of t h e h o u s e s h av e b e e n home-quarantined. “The shop which used to function from 5 to 8 pm daily was open till Wednesday. We are tracing the contacts of the duo. Police inquiry will reveal whether he ended his life fearing social stigma,” a health official told Express. Iruttukadai, meaning ‘dark shop’, was founded around 100 years ago by Singh’s ancestor. The shop is located near Arulmigu Nellaiappar Temple. WITH THIS ISSUE CHENNAI’S BEST WEEKEND GUIDE 30 PAGES, INCLUDING 16 OF INDULGE (TABLOID) Cases in Chennai Cases in TN Total Deaths 2,141 2,115 2,396 1,373 1,322 1,254 June 18 2,532 Total Discharged 2,710 1,493 1,487 June 19 June 20 June 21 3,509 2,865 2,516 1,654 1,834 1,380 June 22 June 23 June 24 June 25 MOUNTING global outrage over brands pushing products promoting skin colour-based discrimination has prodded some of India’s biggest brands to hastily re-brand or take down their of ferings. On Thursday the country’s largest , consumer goods company HUL, announced that it would rebrand its `2,000 crore fairness cream brand Fair & Lovely and stop using the word ‘Fair’ in the brand name. HUL’s is just the latest in a series of rollbacks by some of @ Chennai TAMIL Nadu recorded its steepest ever spike with 3,509 Covid-19 cases on Thursday. With this, the State touched 70,977 confir med cases. Chennai’s share was 1,834 cases, increasing the city’s tally to 47,650. The total death toll climbed to 911, with 45 deaths, during the day. Chennai reported 28 of the 45 deaths, taking its numbers to 694. Chennai’s neighbouring districts, Cheng alpattu, Kancheepuram and Tiruvallur, recorded 191, 98 and 170 cases r e s p e c t i v e l y. S p a r i n g Krishnagiri, every district recorded new cases on Thursday The day’s cases had . 151 imported ones. In Salem, 30 people who returned to the district from other States or countries tested positive. Meanwhile, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Thursday said that the Centre has released `6,600 crore to TN g ove r n m e n t s i n c e April for procurement of medical equipment to tackle the Covid-19 pandemic. On fake e-passes As the spike in cases in southern and western districts like Madurai and Coimbatore have been attributed to people returning from Chennai and the adjoining districts with most of them using fake e-passes, Corporation Commissioner G Prakash war ned that the city corporation will not entertain such breach of law. He said those obtaining such illegal passes are nothing but “fooling themselves”. Talking about the arrangements made for safe travel of corporation staff, Prakash said 95 MTC buses have been pressed into service across 49 routes. He added that 345 Chennai Corporation staff, including officials, have tested positive so far, of which, 50 have already returned to work. New SOPs for arrests Meanwhile, in a bid to ensure safety of police personnel on duty Director General of Police , issued a circular on Thursday to follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for arrests made during the pandemic. The 13-point SOP included an important order that except in heinous crimes, arrests may be d e f e r r e d by t h e p o l i c e. Moreover, they have been asked to avoid as much as possible arresting people above 60 years and those having co-morbid conditions. They have also been asked to avoid engaging police personnel above 50 years for effecting arrest, or prisoner escort duties etc. MEA accuses China of disregarding pacts, amassing troops since May Raps it for attempting to change status quo, shifting its position on the Galwan Valley P U S H K A R B A N A K A R @ New Delhi Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami explains about preventive measures against Covid-19 inside a bus at Gandhipuram in Coimbatore on Thursday DMK FLOUTED SOCIAL DISTANCING, SAYS CM EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ Erode/Coimbatore FIRING a fresh salvo at the Opposition party, Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on Thursday said that had the DMK followed social distancing, Tamil Nadu would not have lost a legislator. “Stalin asked his party cadre to distribute relief materials. They ignored the medical exper ts’ advice not to unnecessarily mingle with people. They made relief drive a publicity stunt,” he added. The CM accused Stalin of misinforming his cadre into risking their lives. Later, he said custodial deaths in Sathankudi were a sorrowful incident. “We have instructed the police to treat traders and public with a kind heart. The investigation is going on under direction of the Madurai Bench of Madras P3 High Court,” he said. Brands do soul searching in the age of Black Lives Matter, nix discrimination S E S A S E N @ New Delhi EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE India’s most popular brands— including matrimonial site Shaadi.com and Johnson & Johnson. The latter — which sells Neutrogena Fine Fairness and Clear Fairness — said last week it would no longer sell products advertised as dark-spot reducers. In the global market, oral care major Colgate has already said it would review a top-selling Chinese brand called Darlie, whose name translates to ‘black person toothpaste’. Food and beverage major PepsiCo will rebrand its 130-year-old syrup called Aunt Jemima in the US market, while Nestlé, too, plans to rename a number of its international confectionery labels. The global FMCG giant plans to go through its 25,000 products to eliminate marketing that contains racial stereotypes. Closer home, one of t h e c o u n t r y ’s l a r g e s t matrimonial sites—Shaadi. com — had taken down a filter that allowed clients to sort prospective alliances based on P12 skin colour. out a mutual plan,” a senior Army officer said. ACCUSING China of amassing India’s firm stand on the troops and armaments along G a l w a n Va l l e y and the Line of Actual Control transgressions by the Chinese (LAC) since early May resulting are being seen as an attempt to , in the June 15 clash and drive home the message that heightened tension, India on was delivered at the Corps Thursday said the Chinese Commander-level talks on June conduct this year has been in 22 that the rules of engagement complete disre gard to all were no longer the same. mutually agreed norms and The Indian side, sources pacts. said, had made it clear at the “While there have been meeting that its troops on the occasional departures ground had been given in the past, the conduct US counter a free hand to deal with to China of Chinese forces this situations as they ye a r h a s b e e n i n US Secretary of deemed fit, which has complete disregard of been interpreted as a State Mike all mutually agreed freedom to use arms if Pompeo nor ms,” Exter nal necessary . indicated the A f f a i r s M i n i s t r y redeployment “India’s statement is spokesperson Anurag a continuation of its of troops to Srivastava said. take on China. position conveyed to India again charged the Chinese on the “Actions of China with trying to June 22 Corps Chinese alter the status quo Commander-level Communist even as New Delhi meeting. Except initial Party meant dismissed Beijing’s intelligence failure in threats to claims of sovereignty India, Vietnam, checking the Chinese over the Galwan Valley deployment and Indonesia, as “unjustified and ing ress, India has Malaysia, untenable” and said demonstrated that it Philippines... this was a shift from its The US military will not let the Chinese earlier position. strategy of two step is postured “The deployment of forward, one step back appropriately a large body of troops succeed. I hope the to meet the and changes in statement emanates challenges,” behaviour has also from the ground he said been aggravated by realities rather than unjustified and untenable from a strong anti-China wave claims. The recent shift in the that has engulfed the country ,” Chinese position on the Galwan said B R Deepak, Sinologist and Va l l e y i s o n e e x a m p l e, ” chairperson of the Centre for Srivastava said. Chinese and South Asian India’s strong statement studies at Jawaharlal Nehru came as the Indian Ar my University . maintained that disengagement A former diplomat echoed on the ground was yet to begin. him. “Though ground reports “The local commanders-level suggest de-escalation has not meeting has not taken place begun, India wants to show the yet, so details have not been Chinese that it will not be worked out. It will take some bogged down. Also, it is a time for division commanders, befitting reply to the claims s e c t o r c o m m a n d e r s a n d made by the Chinese over the P9 battalion commanders to work Galwan Valley he said. ,” FIEO awaits govt response “We have been given to understand that customs is physically examining all imports from China, which is delaying clearance, adding to the cost of imports,” FIEO president S K Saraf wrote ‘Will hurt to to Commerce India more’ Secretary Anup Wadhawan. China’s exports to He is India constitute waiting 2.8% of their for the overall exports. But govt’s response India’s exports to China is 5.4% of and hopes to its total exports, so the blockade get it today will hurt India more, says FIEO China blocks Indian shipments in tit-for-tat A N U R A D H A S H U K L A @ New Delhi WITH the spike in bilateral border tensions spilling over to trade, shipments of Indian origin are being held up in Hong Kong and China in retaliation to the India blocking China-origin shipments at domestic ports. S K Saraf, president of the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO), revealed the tit-for-tat action by Beijing after reports of Indian customs holding back Chinese consignments. This is causing delays in consignment clearance. The FIEO has taken up the matter with the ministry of commerce and industry “We have been given to understand that . customs is physically examining all imports from China, which is delaying clearance, adding to the cost of imports,” Saraf said in a letter to Commerce Secretary Anup Wadhawan. He said some exporters have reported retaliatory blocking by Hong Kong and Chinese customs. Earlier, after consignments of Apple’s iPhone from China were held at various Indian ports, the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum wrote to the government sharing its concern. It said the Director General of Foreign Trade and customs have abruptly halted clearance of consignments from China, which will send a chilling message to foreign investors. They were also concerned that the decision to subject shipments from China to 100% manual examination will delay the supply chain and damage expensive components and critical imports from China, escalating cost and time for the already stressed CONTINUED ON: P12 industry . ACADEMIC ACTIVITY CBSE X boards out, XII optional EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ New Delhi The Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE) on Thursday told the Supreme Court that it has decided to cancel the remaining board exams for classes X and XII, scheduled to begin on July 1, due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told a bench headed by Justice A M Khanwilkar that while Class X boards have been cancelled, Class XII students will get an opt out option. Those opting out will be assessed on the basis of performance in their last three exams. T h e I n d i a n C e r t i f i c at e Secondary Education (ICSE), too, told the court it will cancel the remaining boards for its classes X and XII exams. On CBSE’s submission to hold the remaining Class XII papers when the situation improves, the bench said, “the situation can vary from state to state. Will this decision be taken by the Centre or the state?” The bench wanted more clarity on optional exams, publication of results and when the new academic year would start. It sought the CBSE’s draft notification by 10.30 am on Friday for its perusal, following which final orders will be issued. Mehta said the CBSE’s decision was based on inputs from various states. “We took this decision due to logistic issues,” he said. IIT-B classes online for next sem, others wait for govt nod S U M I S U K A N YA D U T TA @ New Delhi Students wait for their SSLC exam papers at a Bengaluru school | P MEGHANA SASTRY THE Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay has decided to conduct only online classes for the upcoming semester in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. “After a long deliberation, we’ve decided that the next semester will be run purely in the online mode so that there is no compromise on the safety of the students. The pandemic has made us rethink the way we impart education,” director of IIT-Bombay, Subhasis Choudhuri, said in a statement. Other IITs are waiting for directions from the Centre. A report recommending online classes, by a panel constituted by the standing committee of the IIT Council, has been forwarded to the Union human resource development ministry. “Our decision will be based on how the ministry guides us,” the director of an IIT said.
Express Publications (Madurai) Pvt Limited publishes the prestigious English language newspaper The New Indian Express from 29 centres in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Orissa.
Express Publications (Madurai) Pvt. Ltd. also publishes The Morning Standard from Delhi, Tamil daily Dinamani and Malayalam Vaarika (Malayalam) Magazine.
26062020 of The New Indian Express-Chennai
Please purchase this volume to read.
You are logged-in with following email:
We have sent the confirmation email
You will receive the acknowledgement with link to read this volume in your email shortly.