Protesters pound the door of the police department in Kenosha in the US state of Wisconsin on Sunday; (inset) Jacob Blake | AP HYDERABAD TUESDAY AUGUST 25, 2020 `7.00 PAGES 18 LATE CITY EDITION ANOTHER POLICE SHOOTING OF BLACK MAN ROCKS U.S. Violent protests erupted in Wisconsin on Sunday night after police shot an unarmed black man in the back several times THE VICTIM IS BATTLING FOR LIFE MULTIPLE VEHICLES SET ON FIRE The police said the shooting happened when they were responding to a “domestic incident” on Sunday evening in Kenosha. A footage showed three officers pointing their guns at the man, identified as Jacob Blake, as he walked around the front of a car. He was shot when he opened the driver’s door and leaned in. He was hospitalised in a serious condition ■ ■ Protesters took out a march to the Kenosha police station, on Sunday night. There, they faced off with officers in riot gear. Multiple vehicles, including a truck, were set ablaze The incident comes three months after the police killing of African-American George Floyd triggered worldwide protests 29-yr-old JACOB BLAKE WAS SHOT IN FRONT OF HIS THREE CHILDREN CHENNAI ■ MADURAI ■ VIJAYAWADA ■ BENGALURU ■ KOCHI ■ HYDERABAD ■ VISAKHAPATNAM ■ COIMBATORE ■ KOZHIKODE ■ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM ■ BELAGAVI ■ BHUBANESWAR ■ SHIVAMOGGA ■ MANGALURU ■ TIRUPATI ■ TIRUCHY ■ TIRUNELVELI ■ SAMBALPUR ■ HUBBALLI ■ DHARMAPURI ■ KOTTAYAM ■ KANNUR ■ VILLUPURAM ■ KOLLAM ■ WARANGAL ■ TADEPALLIGUDEM ■ NAGAPATTINAM ■ THRISSUR ■ KALABURAGI Sonia to continue as Cong chief, party to find new boss in 6 mths Veterans who expressed dissent sidelined at CWC meet; majority sought a Gandhi at the helm R I C H A S H A R M A @ New Delhi CHOCK-A-BLOCK Traffic comes to a standstill on Tank Bund on the third day of Ganesh idol immersion on Monday | S SENBAGAPANDIYAN TS schools to conduct online classes from Sept 1 EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ Hyderabad THE Telangana School Education Department issued a memo on Monday according permission to all schools in the State to conduct online classes from September 1 and directed all gover nment schoolteachers to start attending schools regularly from August 27. The government schoolteachers will work on preparing e-content for online classes and lesson plans. With this decision, re gular online classes will start for students of all classes in State government schools. The memo also said that separate instructions will be issued regarding reopening of schools as per the central government’s guidelines. Until then all schools will remain physically closed for the students. This comes as a follow-up to the Central government’s guidelines for restoring normalcy following the lockdown and lifting restrictions in a phased manner. According to the State Education Department’s memo, in a meeting held earlier this month, the Council of Ministers had approved commencement of admissions and starting online classes by CONTINUED ON P4 schools. 1,842 COVID CASES AND 6 DEATHS RECORDED IN TELANGANA PAGE 4 SRISAILAM POWER PLANT Restoration of 4 damaged units may take months the employees are unable to go to some units even after four IT may take several months days. We will come to know for restoration of four of the about the condition of these six units of the hydro electric four units by Tuesday .” power station on Krishna riv“Once the assessment is er bank at Srisailam, which completed, we will come to were damaged in the ravaging know whether there is any fire that broke out on the need to import equipment night of August 20, killor we can repair them ing nine employees. locally. If the repairs “If the turbines and are done with locally generators are damavailable materials, aged, it will take time then the power generaas they have to be imtion may start in the ported from Japan,” four units within a TS Transco and Genmonth. If there is a co Managing Direcneed to import Hitor Devulapalli Prab- If the turbines and tachi equipment, it generators are hakar Rao told would take some damaged, it will Express. Two units months to restore the are in good condition take time as they power generation,” a have to be as they have not sufGenco official said. imported from fered any damage With the fire misJapan. The first and power generahap resulting in loss and second units tion could be reof around 10 million are in good sumed in the next 15 condition. We are units of hydel power planning to restart in Srisailam, the days. “According to our power generation hydel power generapreliminary assess- in the next 15 days tion in the State ment, the first and D Prabhakar Rao, TS dropped to 21 million second units are in Transco & Genco MD units on Sunday The . good condition. We hydel power generaare planning to retion touched a maxistart power generation in the mum of 28.9 million units on next 15 days,” he said. “The of- August 20. At present, the ficials are still assessing the hydel power is being generatcondition of the four badly- ed at Nagarjuna Sagar and damaged units. The delay in Jurala. assessment is due to the heat “The power generation at in the plant. There is still heat NSP on Tuesday was around in the underground plant and 750 MW,” sources said. V V B A L A K R I S H N A @ Hyderabad Chennai: Singer SP Balasubrahmanyam continues to be on a ventilator and ECMO support and his clinical condition is stable, said a health bulletin issued by the MGM Healthcare Hospital, on Monday. Meanwhile, after reports that SPB tested negative for Covid-19 surfaced, his son Charan said, “Regardless of whether it is Covid negative or positive, the status is still the same.” Unlock 4.0 What to expect While the govt is yet to release Unlock 4.0 guidelines which will kick in from September 1, officials gave some indications Metro train Services are likely to resume Schools, colleges Unlikely to be allowed to reopen, but higher educational institutions such as universities, IITs and IIMs may be permitted to open with conditions R I C H A S H A R M A @ New Delhi W ith senior Congress leaders who wrote a letter to party’s interim chief Sonia Gandhi demanding a leadership change coming under attack led by Rahul Gandhi, many party leaders feel that there is no space in the party for raising serious internal matters. The CWC meet on Monday saw senior leaders who wrote to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi over leadership issues coming under attack led by Rahul Gandhi with many party leaders feeling that there is no place for raising serious party-related matters in the party . In the Congress Working Committee (CWC) meet on Monday, a majority of the CWC members joined Rahul and questioned the dissent- Cinema halls Not likely to reopen as it is not commercially viable to operate cinema halls following social distancing norms Bars May be permitted to sell liquor over the counter for takeaway Containment zones THE Election Commission of India shared photos and addresses of voters from NorthEast Delhi with the Delhi police after the February riots, alleged RTI activist Saket Gokhale. Citing a letter from the Election Commission of India to the Chief Election Officer of Delhi dated March 12, Gokhale said the entire voter list, with photos was handed over “illegally” to the Delhi Police to enable the identification of suspects. The letter from the ECI to the Delhi CEO stated, “I am directed to refer to your letter No F After reports that Rahul accused the leaders who wrote the dissenting letter of being in cahoots with the BJP, some party veterans expressed anguish. The Congress quickly clarified he has not uttered a word of this nature Gandhi’s supremacy has been unwelcoming and dissenters have been sidelined. The treatment meted out to two non-Gandhi Congress presidents – PV Narasimha Rao and Sitaram Kesri – before Sonia Gandhi took over the reins of the party in 1998 is well known,” said a party leader. Kesri was unceremoniously dethroned and locked in a room at the AICC headquarters as Sonia took over as party chief. Rao was sidelined completely . The party did not allow even his dead body to be kept at the party headquarters for people to pay last respects. Many others like Rajesh Pilot, Jitendra Prasada, Sharad Pawar and PA Sangama were either sidelined or left the party . Prashant Bhushan rules out apology; verdict on punishment today States will have final call A day before the Supreme Court’s scheduled hearing on the quantum of sentence for his contemptuous tweets, activist-lawyer Prashant Bhushan on Monday reiterated that he won’t apologise for his comments against judiciary . In a fresh statement filed in the apex court on Monday, Bhushan said he believes his comments against the judiciary were right. Therefore, an apology would be insincere and amount to contempt of his conscience, he said. On August 20, the Supreme Court had granted him time to reconsider his ‘defiant statement’ refusing to apologise and tender an unconditional apology. “I expressed myself in good faith, not to malign the Supreme Court or any particular Chief Justice, but to offer constructive criticism so that the court can arrest any drift away from its long-standing role as a guardian of the Constitution and custodian of peoples’ rights,” he said. Bhushan added his tweets represented this bona-fide belief. “Public expression of these beliefs was in line with my higher obligations as a citizen and a loyal officer of this court. Therefore, an apology Final decision will be taken by states on whether to allow Centre’s relaxations depending on the coronavirus situation in their region EC shared pics and addresses of Delhiites with police, says activist electoral roll along with images of electors of North-East Parliamentary Constituency .” Gokhale wrote on Twitter that, “The 1st line of the order itself admits that voter lists shared with the police CANNOT contain photos. ECI broke these rules & made these full voter lists WITH PHOTOS available to police.” Reacting to Gokhale’s charge, the poll panel said, “It is hereby clarified in view of the anecdotal reports which are not based on empirical facts that the Commission has not in any way deviated from the original guidelines of 2008 and clarificatory orders of 2020 in any manner.” FLUTTER OVER BJP LINK EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE SC refuses to hear plea on religious structures 2.(12/CEO/ER/ 2012351 dated 06.03.2020, on the subject cited, and to state that the electoral database of entire AC/District should not be shared with the Police Authorities in accordance with the Commission’s prevailing policy .” The same letter, shared on Twitter by Gokhale, noted that the Commission, “keeping in view a request from the Delhi Police for photographs of electors, as available in the electoral roll of the North-East Shahdara and East Delhi Districts, to be matched with the photographs of culprits captured through CCTV has directed to , advise CEO Delhi to display the ers for their move and also leaking the letter. Senior party leader Ghulam Nabi Azad did clarify that the purpose of the letter was not to question Gandhis’ leadership, but point out the issues in the functioning of the party and its organisational res t r u c t u r i n g t h at needs immediate attention. It is not for the first time that senior party leaders are raising their voice against the leadership. But the party’s history shows that dissenters have never been able to win back the trust of the Gandhi family which is the , most important thing to survive and to get important posts in the party . “Ample examples in the past show that any dissent in the party challenging Will continue to be put under full lockdown restrictions EXPRESS READ @ New Delhi Four of the letter signatories, who are part of the CWC, clarified that the letter was to bring focus on organisation restricting and settling leadership issues and never questioned Sonia’s leadership. Azad and Anand Sharma said they have not breached party discipline while Ambika Soni sought action against the dissenters and that as per the party constitution action be taken against them. In her concluding remarks, Sonia said she was hurt by the remarks in the letter but doesn’t hold any ill will against party colleagues. NO PLACE FOR DISSENT IN THE PARTY AGAINST GANDHIS? RTI REPLY EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE SPB CONTINUES TO BE ON ECMO SUPPORT THE much hyped dissent by senior leaders turned out to be whimper on Monday with the Congress Working Committee requesting Sonia Gandhi to continue leading the party until a new leader is elected. “The CWC makes it clear that no one will be or can be permitted to undermine or weaken the party and its leadership at this juncture,” said the CWC resolution, sending strong message to dissenters. The seven-hour CWC meeting saw the veterans who wrote to Sonia seeking “collective leadership” being cornered with a majority of the members condemning their move and some demanding action against them for indiscipline. According to sources, Rahul Gandhi was unsparing in his speech and said the move by these leaders will benefit only the BJP. Upset by the insinuation, senior party leader Ghulam Nabi Azad threatened to quit from all party posts. Congress general-secretary Priyanka Gandhi-Vadra, then, took a jibe at Azad that what he said in the meeting was contrary to the letter’s content. Rajya Sabha MP Kapil Sibal, too, expressed his anguish but later clarified he “was informed by Rahul Gandhi personally that he never said what was attributed to him”. After the CWC meeting, a few veteran leaders met at Azad’s residence to discuss the future course of action. The meeting started with the party’s organisations incharge K C Venugopal reading out Sonia’s statement asking CWC “to begin deliberations to put in place a process of transition to relieve me from my duties”. This made her two confidantes former PM Manmohan Singh and A K Antony requesting her to continue lead the party while calling the letter by his party colleagues as “unfortunate and cruel”. A Majority of the CWC members lend weight behind the Gandhis and said Sonia should continue to lead the party till Rahul takes over the reins. Congress-ruled CMs and CWC members were in unison that only a Gandhi can lead and keep the party together. However, sources said Rahul is still reluctant to take the hot seat. An AICC session is likely to be called within six months to elect the next leader. The Supreme Court bench on Monday refused to entertain a petition that sought the rebuilding of religious structures that were pulled down recently during the demolition of old Secretariat buildings in Telangana. | P7 1 dead, 15 injured in Maha building collapse Mumbai: One person died and over 15 suffered injuries after a five-storeyed residential building collapsed in Maharashtra’s Raigad district on Monday. About 70 people are reportedly trapped under the debris of the building, police said. The building collapsed at Kajalpura in Mahad tehsil around 7 pm. There were around 45 flats in the building. @ New Delhi If I retract a statement before this court that I otherwise believe to be true, offer an insincere apology, that in my eyes would amount to the contempt of my conscience and of an institution I hold in highest esteem Prashant Bhushan for expression of these beliefs, conditional or unconditional, would be insincere.” He noted an apology cannot be a mere incantation and any apology has to, as the court has itself put it, be sincerely made. The activist-lawyer said he believes the SC is the last bastion of hope for the protection of fundamental rights and constitutional democracy . The court had on August 14 held Bhushan guilty of criminal contempt for two derogatory tweets against judiciary . Bhushan faces simple imprisonment of up to six months or with a fine of up to `2,000 or both as punishment.
Express Network Private Limited publishes thirty three E-paper editions of The New Indian Express newspaper , thirty two E-paper editions of Dinamani, one E-paper edition of The Morning Standard, one E-paper edition of Malayalam Vaarika magazine and one E-paper edition of the Indulge - The Morning Standard, Kolkatta.