TADEPALLIGUDEM l WEDNESDAY l SEPTEMBER 30, 2020 l `7.00 l PAGES 12 l CITY EDITION OVER 90% SPEND THEIR TIME CHIT-CHATTING, N.S.O. SURVEY Only 38.2% people take part in job-related activities while 91% spend their time in socialising, a new survey has found ONLY 2.4% TAKE PART IN VOLUNTEER WORK The National Statistical Office’s Time Use Survey revealed that 24.1% people participate in activities related to learning, while only 2.4% take part in volunteer and other unpaid work. The survey also said that 20.7% people said they do unpaid care giving services for household members. Such services include child care and care for dependent adults ■ 1,38,799 WHY THE TIME USE SURVEY IS IMPORTANT ■ The primary objective of the Time Use Survey is to measure participation of men and women in paid and unpaid activities It is an important source of information on the time spent in unpaid care-giving activities, volunteer work, unpaid domestic service producing activities of the household members, etc | P7 HOUSEHOLDS COVERED BY THE SURVEY CONDUCTED DURING JAN-DEC 2019 CHENNAI ■ MADURAI ■ VIJAYAWADA ■ BENGALURU ■ KOCHI ■ HYDERABAD ■ VISAKHAPATNAM ■ COIMBATORE ■ KOZHIKODE ■ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM ■ BELAGAVI ■ BHUBANESWAR ■ SHIVAMOGGA ■ MANGALURU ■ TIRUPATI ■ TIRUCHY ■ TIRUNELVELI ■ SAMBALPUR ■ HUBBALLI ■ DHARMAPURI ■ KOTTAYAM ■ KANNUR ■ VILLUPURAM ■ KOLLAM ■ WARANGAL ■ TADEPALLIGUDEM ■ NAGAPATTINAM ■ THRISSUR ■ KALABURAGI SCHOOLS REOPEN ON NOV 2 EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ Vijayawada , DEC 6 I EMOL 992 D 1 TION BIG-TICKET BABRI PLOT VERDICT TODAY ACCUS E D FAC I N G T R I A L L K Advani. Was only an MP at that time. Gave a speech to kar sevaks before Babri masjid was brought down, earlier in 1990 he had led a rath yatra Murli Manohar Joshi. Was BJP president when the mosque was demolished; he was also at the site and addressed kar sevaks Kalyan Singh. Was UP chief minister. Had given Supreme Court an undertaking that he will not allow any damage to the mosque Uma Bharti. Was at the site on demolition day. Liberhan Commission accused her of inciting the mob; she took moral responsibility for the demolition Vinay Katiyar, then Bajrang Dal chief. Was BJP MP from Faizabad at the time of demolition in 1992. It is believed the conspiracy to demolish the structure was hatched at his place Mahant Nritya Gopal Das. Head of Ayodhya’s largest temple and actively associated with the Ram Janmabhoomi movement since 1984 Ram Vilas Vedanti. Ex-BJP MP and Ram Janmabhoomi Nyas member, he claimed to have incited the mob to raze the mosque Sadhvi Rithambara. Founder-chairperson of Durga Vahini, the women’s wing of VHP; her speeches played a major role in the demolition of the masjid Champat Rai, current VHP vice-president and general secretary of Ram temple trust Did Advani and others conspire to raze the Babri masjid in 1992? A special CBI court in Lucknow will deliver its verdict today T H E STO RY SO FA R After a Rae Bareli court discharged former BJP chief L K Advani in the plot case in 2003 citing insufficient proof, all other co-accused were absolved by and by. The Allahabad high court upheld the orders in 2010. A year later, the CBI approached the SC to revive the conspiracy case. In 2017, SC gave its green light after quashing the HC order CASES ■ When Babri masjid was demolished on Dec 6, 1992, two cases 197/1992 and 198/1992 were registered through two FIRs at the Ram Janamabhoomi police station, Ayodhya ■ Case number 197/1992: Filed against unknown kar sevaks under IPC sections 395 (dacoity), 397(dacoity or robbery with attempt to cause death), 332 (causing hurt to deter public servants), 337, 338 (grievous hurt), 295 (injuring or defiling a place of worship with intent to insult religion of any class), 297 (trespass in any place of worship) and 153-A (promoting enmity between different groups on ground of religion) ■ Case number 198/1992: Named eight accused Askok Singhal, Giriraj Kishore, L K Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Vishnu Hari Dalmia, Vinay Katiyar, Uma Bharti and Sadhvi Rithambara. They were booked under Sections 153-A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc., and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony), 153-B (imputations, assertions prejudicial to national-integration) and 505 IPC (intent to incite, or which is likely to incite, any class or community of persons to commit any offence against any other class or community) ■ 47 more FIRs lodged on complaints of mediapersons who were assaulted and their cameras and equipment snatched; the charges were robbery, rioting and mischief etc. OTHERS: Sakshi Maharaj, Brij Bhushan Singh, Lallu Singh (all BJP MPs); Ravindra Nath Srivastava, then Faizabad DM; Jaibhan Singh Pawaiya, then minister in MP; Mahant Dharam Das; Satish Pradhan; Acharya Dharmendra Dev; Pawan Kumar Pandey; Jai Bhagwan Goyal, Rashtrawadi Shiv Sena head; Ramji Gupta; Prakash Sharma; Dharmendra Singh Gurjar; Ram Chandra Khatri, Sudhir Kakkar, Aman Nath Goyal, Santosh Dubey, Om Prakash Pandey, Vinay Kumar Rai, Kamlesh Tripathi, Gandhi Yadav, Vijay Bahadur Singh and Naveen Bhai Shukla (all kar sevaks) SCHOOLS will reopen on November 2, the State government announced on Tuesday It had earlier . said the academic year would begin from October 5, but decided to postpone the starting date due to the Covid-19 outbreak. However, the government will go ahead with Jagananna Vidya Kanuka on October 5. Speaking during the Spandana videoconference here on Tuesday , Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy said the reopening of schools will be postponed keeping in view the number of Covid-19 cases in the State. “Though we haven’t received guidelines for the next phase of ‘unlock’ from the Centre, it looks highly unlikely that schools will be permitted to start regular classes. The Chief Minister has instructed schools to postpone re- sumption of classes to November 2,” Education Minister Audimulapu Suresh said. He added that if the Centre lets the State government decide on reopening schools in a phased manner, “we are prepared to start regular classes for senior students, whose doubt-solving classes are already on. We can gradually start regular classes for junior students too.” Though regular classes will not Outrage as Hathras gang-rape victim dies EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @New Delhi THE death of a 20-year-old gang-rape victim from Uttar Pradesh’s Hathras district around 3 am on Tuesday a day , after she was admitted at the Safdarjung hospital, sparked nationwide outrage and led to chaotic scenes outside the hospital premises. The victim’s younger brother claimed her sister’s body, was handed over to the UP police after autopsy instead of giving it to the family But the . claim couldn’t be verified with the hospital’s administration despite multiple attempts. In what brought back memories of the horrific Nirbhaya gang-rape case, the Dalit girl was left grievously injured by four men who sexually abused her on September 14. She was admitted to the Aligarh Muslim University’s Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and Hospital (JNMCH) a week after the sexual assault. By then, her legs had paralysed and she had severe spinal cord injury and neck damage, as the accused had dragged her by her dupatta to a field near the spot in her village where she was gathering cattle fodder. She also has a deep cut on her tongue. JNMCH superintendent Dr Harris Manzur Khan said the victim was critical and on ventilator with her legs completely and arms partially paralysed when her father sought to shift her to Delhi on Monday . As news of her death spread, protests broke out at Safdarjung Hospital, Vijay Chowk and in Hathras. Leading the protest outside Safdarjung Hospital, Bhim Army chief Chandrashekar Azad said the attack represents the deteriorating law and order situation in UP “Do not test our patience. . We won’t rest until the culprits are hanged,” he said. Bhim Army chief Chandrashekhar Azad protesting the death of a Dalit gang-rape victim outside Safdarjung Hospital, in New Delhi on Tuesday | SHEKHAR YADAV EXPRESS READ Venkaiah Naidu tests positive for Covid-19 New Delhi: Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday tested positive for Covid-19, the Vice President Secretariat said. It said Naidu, 71, is asymptomatic and in good health. “The Vice President of India who underwent a routine Covid-19 test today morning has been tested positive,” the Secretariat tweeted resume till November 2, the students’ kits will be distributed on October 5 as scheduled under the Vidya Kanuka scheme. Each kit consists of cloth for three pairs of uniform, textbooks, notebooks, a pair of shoes, two pairs of socks, a belt and a school bag. Meanwhile, the Chief Minister directed officials to focus on completing the first phase of Nadu Nedu at the earliest. In the first phase, 15,715 schools were identified for 10 facilities to be provided. Of these 15,715 schools, work is on at 15,562, while it is yet to begin in the remaining 153 schools. Officials said slab work has to be done in 701 toilets. Joint Collectors were told to monitor the work on a daily basis. With regard to Anganwadi centres, as 27,564 of them are being operated in rented spaces, officials were told to shift them. So far, land has been identified for 14,738 centres. CM TAKES STOCK ‘Positivity rate reduction shows prevalence of virus has fallen’ EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ Vijayawada CHIEF Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy on Tuesday expressed happiness over the decline in the Covid-19 positivity rate, number of active cases and deaths in the State. Taking stock of the situation during the ‘Spandana’ review meeting with Collectors and other officials, he said the reduction in the positivity rate from 12 per cent to 8.3 per cent indicates that the prevalence of the coronavirus is coming down. He asked officials to ensure effective functioning of ‘104’ call centres, and conduct mock calls to see if they are functioning properly “Immediately after a call is . received, a Covid-19 test must be conducted or the patient must be admitted to hospital,” he emphasised. Pointing out the government’s assurance that beds would be provided within half an hour of receiving a call, the Chief Minister asked the Collectors to ensure this happens without fail. He also wanted them to give wide publicity to the help desk numbers in their respective districts. Stating that apart from 240 Covid-19 hospitals, treatment for the disease is being extended at Aarogyasri network hospitals, Jagan asked the officials to display information on which hospitals are providing Covid-19 treatment on the notice boards of village and ward secretariats. He said that the government has agreed to appoint 17,000 doctors, nurses and other paramedical staff on a temporary basis for six months, and also asked hospitals to recruit 12,000 trainee nurses. “All such appointments should be completed by this weekend, and officials must monitor the services being rendered and their attendance,” he said. CONTINUED ON P5 EXPRESS IMPACT Good Samaritans step in to help priest who lost leg to gangrene R A M E S H B A B U G @ Srikakulam HELP has started pouring in for the priest who lost his leg as he was unable to pay for his gangrene to be treated. Reacting to a report published in these columns titled, ‘Unable to pay for gangrene treatment, priest loses leg’, Visakhapatnam-based Gayatri Seva Mitra Brundam handed over `50,000 to the family of the priest Kommajosyula Rama Krishna Sharma. A group of senior citizens, employees of private companies, government officials, businesspeople and NRIs formed the organisation to pool in money and help the needy during the lockdown. “We thought of helping the poor and needy as the lockdown brought misery to them in several ways. We started helping based on news reports in national and regional dailies. The group was formed with just two members, and the number increased to 50 within a few days,” Achanta Swamy the coordinator , of the group told TNIE. “On September 21, TNIE published a report on the sorry state of Rama Krishna Sharma, who lost his leg as he was unable to pay for gangrene treatment, and we immediately decided to chip in and help him,” Swamy said. Through TNIE, the Gayatri Seva Mitra Brundam contacted the family of the priest, who was undergoing a surgery at a private hospital in Visakhapatnam. “After speaking to them, we decided to pay for the surgery he ,” said, and added that when the proposal was placed before the group, almost all members stepped forward to contribute. An amount of `50,000 was handed over to the victim at the hospital on Monday evening, he said. Fund frozen, Amnesty exits India, blames it on govt’s ‘witch hunt’ E X P R E S S N E W S S E R V I C E @ New Delhi NINETEEN days after its bank accounts were frozen by the Centre, Amnesty International on Tuesday announced winding up its India operations. The organisation said it was compelled to let go of its staff in India and pause its ongoing campaign and research work. Accusing the government of “incessant witch-hunt”, it claimed it was targeted for flagging human rights violations in Kashmir and during the Delhi riots. “The constant harassment by government agencies including the Enforcement Directorate is a result of our unequivocal calls for transparency in the government,” said Avinash How it Kumar, executive director of Amnesraised funds ty International India. Amnesty said it Activists said the BJP-led governoperated through ment is systematically targetting a “distinct model voices of dissent. “The clampdown of raising funds”, on Amnesty is part of a larger proadding that 1 lakh ject to attempt to silence independpeople have ent voices of dissent, which are criticontributed for its cal of the majoritarian politics of the work in India. present regime,” said bureaucrat“These cannot turned-activist Harsh Mander. have any relation Meanwhile, the Ministry of Home with the FCRA,” it Affairs said Amnesty’s statement is said far from the truth and is a ploy to influence probe into its illegalities. The MHA said Amnesty was denied permission to receive foreign funds by successive governments including UPAled governments in view of its “illegal activities”. The government also highlighted that the human rights body is not registered under FCRA and it had received permission only once and that too 20 years ago. IPL TODAY RAJASTHAN KOLKATA After taking CSK and KXIP to cleaners in Sharjah, Rajasthan head to Dubai to face Kolkata. In five matches, teams opting to field first have ended up losing the match. Will this trend change? P11 L I V E : S TA R S P O R T S 1 / H O T S TA R @ 7. 3 0 P M India calls out Chinese doublespeak on LAC P U S H K A R B A N A K A R @ New Delhi INDIA on Tuesday rejected Chinese claims of the position of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh, saying it has never accepted the so-called unilaterally defined 1959 perception of the LAC. Under various bilateral agreements, both India and China have committed to clarification and confirmation of the LAC. “In fact, the two sides had engaged in an exercise to clarify and confirm the LAC up to 2003, but this process could not Ladakh’s proceed further as the Chinese side UT status did not show a willingness to pursue Chinese Foreign it. Therefore, the insistence now of Ministry the Chinese side that there is only spokesperson one LAC is contrary to the solemn commitments made by China in Wang Wenbin said Beijing does not these agreements,” Ministry of Exrecognise Ladakh ternal Affairs spokesperson Anurag UT and accused Srivastava said. India of illegally The response came after China on establishing Monday said it abides by the 1959 Central rule there LAC perception of then premier Zhou Enlai. Meanwhile, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said Beijing does not recognise the Union Territory of Ladakh and accused India of illegally establishing Central rule there. “China does not recognise the so-called Union Territory of Ladakh, which was illegally established by India, and opposes infrastructure construction in disputed border areas for military control purposes,” Wang said.
Express Network Private Limited publishes thirty three E-paper editions of The New Indian Express newspaper , thirty two E-paper editions of Dinamani, one E-paper edition of The Morning Standard, one E-paper edition of Malayalam Vaarika magazine and one E-paper edition of the Indulge - The Morning Standard, Kolkatta.
30-09-2020 of The New Indian Express-Tadepalligudem