HUBBALLI WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 07, 2020 `7.00 PAGES 12 CITY EDITION THREE SHARE NOBEL PHYSICS PRIZE FOR BLACK HOLE STUDY Three scientists on Tuesday won this year’s Nobel Prize in physics for advancing the understanding of black holes ROGER PENROSE REINHARD GENZEL ANDREA GHEZ UK, GERMAN, AMERICAN SCIENTISTS WIN AWARD STILL MANY QUESTIONS UNANSWERED Briton Roger Penrose received half of this year’s prize “for the discovery that black hole formation is a robust prediction of the general theory of relativity”. German Reinhard Genzel and American Andrea Ghez received the second half of the prize “for the discovery of a supermassive compact object at the centre of our galaxy”, the Nobel Committee said ■ ■ Black holes are regions of space where gravity is so strong that not even light can escape from them. “These exotic objects pose many questions that beg for answers and motivate future research,” said David Haviland, Chair of the Nobel Committee for Physics Ghez is the fourth woman to get the Physics Nobel | P12 SEK 10 mn OR $1.1 MN IS THE PRIZE MONEY, WHICH WILL BE SHARED AMONG THE WINNERS CHENNAI ■ MADURAI ■ VIJAYAWADA ■ BENGALURU ■ KOCHI ■ HYDERABAD ■ VISAKHAPATNAM ■ COIMBATORE ■ KOZHIKODE ■ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM ■ BELAGAVI ■ BHUBANESWAR ■ SHIVAMOGGA ■ MANGALURU ■ TIRUPATI ■ TIRUCHY ■ TIRUNELVELI ■ SAMBALPUR ■ HUBBALLI ■ DHARMAPURI ■ KOTTAYAM ■ KANNUR ■ VILLUPURAM ■ KOLLAM ■ WARANGAL ■ TADEPALLIGUDEM ■ NAGAPATTINAM ■ THRISSUR ■ KALABURAGI No ifs and buts over Nitish, says BJP as allies unwrap deal Cremation in the dead of night to prevent Hathras violence: UP govt State had intel on protesters possibly creating law and order situation; pushes for CBI probe under Supreme Court supervision EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ New Delhi FOR the first time since the September 30 cremation of the Hathras gang-rape and murder victim in the dead of night allegedly without the consent and presence of her family the , Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday sought to justify its action, saying it was done to prevent large-scale violence the next morning. Citing intelligence inputs of the possibility of major law and order problems, the UP government in an affidavit to the Supreme Court, said the cremation happened at 2.30 am and security forces were already on high alert in the district because of the Babri masjid verdict a day later. Curiously, the affidavit was submitted even before the SC issued a notice to the state asking it to do so. “The district administration at Hathras had been receiving several intelligence inputs since the morning of September 29 on the manner in which the dharna had taken place at Safdarjung hospital and the whole issue was being exploited and a caste/communal colour was being given,” the affidavit stated while requesting the top court to order a probe by the CBI under its own super- vision into the horrific assault on September 14. It said the state has already requested the Centre that the CBI take over the investigations to obviate hindrance by vested interests. The affidavit further stated that it had received specific inputs that lakhs of protesters of both communities/castes along with supporters of political parties and the media would assemble the next morning at the village, which could turn violent and lead to major law and order problems. Apart from the Babri verdict, concerns regarding the coronavirus safety protocol came into play as well, the affidavit said. “In such extraordinary and severe circumstances, the district administration took the decision to convince the parents of the deceased to cremate her with all religious rites at night to avoid large-scale violence in the morning to cremate the body of the victim that was lying for almost more than 20 hours after her death and postmortem,” the affidavit stated. It said once the post-mortem had been done, “there cannot be any bad intention” to speed up the cremation “except to obviate the potential violent situation resulting from the planned caste divide by certain vested interests”. RAJESH KUMAR THAKUR AND M A N I S H A N A N D @ Patna / New Delhi File photo of police personnel cremating a Dalit woman in the wee hours of September 30 in Hathras district, allegedly without her family’s consent | PTI Surprise over top court’s intervention “It is unclear why the SC would interfere or what would be the scope of its interference when a more effective arrangement in uncovering the truth had already been made by the Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court,” Supreme Court lawyer K V Dhananjay said P7 SC GETS PROACTIVE POSERS ON WITNESS PROTECTION, LAWYER THE Supreme Court on Tuesday directed the UP government to submit a fresh affidavit on whether it has put in place a witness protection plan for the family of a 20-yearold woman, who was allegedly gang-raped and murdered in Hathras, and other witnesses in the case. It was in response to a PIL seeking a CBI or a Special Investigation Team probe monitored by a sitting or retired Supreme Court or high court judge, into the case. “I am not opposing the petition. There are narratives and narratives in the public domain. Let us not sensationalise the death of a young girl. Investigation should just be fair and impartial,” Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the bench. “Your lordships must supervise the investigation and the purpose of it must not be lost,” he added. During the hearing, a bench led by Chief Justice of India S A Bobde asked Mehta to clarify if the victim’s family has chosen a lawyer or not. The bench also sought to know the scope of the suo motu proceedings by the Allahabad High Court in connection with the case. “We also want suggestion from all of you as to the scope of the proceedings in Allahabad and how we can make them more relevant,” the bench said while putting off the hearing for next week. IN a subtle message to China, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Tuesday said India believes in respecting territorial integrity and peaceful resolution of disputes. Addressing a meeting of the foreign ministers of Australia, Japan and the US in Tokyo, he said India is “committed to upholding the rules-based international order”. The US-India-Australia-Japan quadrilateral consultations come amid growing concerns over Chinese aggression in the Indo-Pacific region and IndiaChina border tension in eastern Ladakh. Beijing is opposed to the ‘quad’ grouping, which it says was set up to contain China’s ‘development’ in the region. In an apparent reference to China, Jaishankar said, “The fact that we are meeting here today in person, despite the glo, bal pandemic, is a testimony to the importance that these consultations have gained, particularly in recent times.” The meet was also attended by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne, and Japan’s Toshimitsu Motegi. Jaishankar said as vibrant and pluralistic democracies with shared values, nations have collectively affirmed the importance of maintaining a free, open and inclusive IndoPacific. “Our objective remains advancing the security and the economic interests of all countries having legitimate and vital interests in the region.” Jaishankar also had a oneon-one meeting with Pompeo. The two leaders discussed various aspects of bilateral ties and measures to enhance cooperation. “Began my Tokyo visit with a bilateral meeting with @ SecPompeo. Pleased to see the progress of our partnership in External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar with Yoshihide Suga, Prime Minister of Japan and other Quad Foreign Ministers, in Tokyo on Tuesday | MEA so many fields. Will work together for stability and prosperity in the Indo- Pacific,” he Jaishankar tweeted. A statement from the US Department of States said Pompeo and Jaishankar discussed ongoing bilateral and multilateral cooperation on topics of international concern. “They reaffirmed the strength of the US-India relationship, reviewed efforts to combat the pandemic, and asserted the need to work together to advance peace, prosperity and security in the IndoPacific and around the world,” it said. The leaders agreed to continue close cooperation during the US-India 2+2 ministerial dialogue later this year. SEC scripts SOP opera for bypolls, only 50 per rally A S H W I N I M S R I PA D @ Bengaluru COME elections, parties shower sops on voters in a bid to take poll position. But this time round, it is the poll panel which has come out with SOP . As the state is going for its first election amidst the pandemic, the State Election Commission officials are making elaborate arrangements to ensure that the candidates, their supporters and people attending rallies follow SOP (Stand- ard Operating Procedures). The officials have war ned that criminal cases will be booked against those violating the Model Code of Conduct and the SOP . Speaking to The New Indian Express, Chief Electoral Officer Sanjiv Kumar said rallies, attended by only 50 people, will be allowed at designated places. He said this is applicable for the bypolls at Sira in Tumakuru and RR Nagar in Bengaluru. The respective Deputy Commissioners have to identify places in the constituencies where public speeches are allowed and there is no restriction on the number of such places in each constituency . For the first time, those attending the election rallies have to stand in circles drawn by the officials to ensure social distanc- ing. Officials will draw a circle or square to ensure that not more than 50 people are present at the rallies. Sanjiv Kumar said like in other elections, they have videographers who will record public speeches and other proceedings. “If there are more people, we will get to know as there will be recorded proof, this will be a violation of SOP Action can be . taken accordingly,” Sanjiv Kumar added. CONTINUED ON: P3 BJP releases first list The BJP named 27 candidates for the three-phase Bihar polls, starting October 28. The list includes international shooter Shreyasi Singh and ex-MP Hari Manjhi, who joined the party on Sunday to field its candidates against JD-U nominees. Nitish asserted that there is no misunderstanding in the NDA, and that the alliance is firm on projecting its development plans and achievements before the electorate. To the criticism of his leadership by Chirag Paswan, the CM remained guarded. But he sought to remind the LJP that it was his party that had played a role in sending Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan to the Rajya Sabha. In a related development, senior BJP leader Rajendra Singh, who had narrowly lost the last elections, joined the LJP Singh, who is with the RSS . background, is all set to contest on the LJP ticket against the JD-U nominee. There are indications that a few of the defeated BJP candidates in the 2015 Assembly elections may also contest from the LJP . Mahadayi: Goa goes to SC; No illegalities, says K’taka E X P R E S S N E W S S E R V I C E @ New Delhi India’s subtle poke at China from quad meet P U S H K A R B A N A K A R @ New Delhi TWO days ahead of the close of nominations for the first phase of Bihar assembly polls, the NDA on Tuesday unveiled the seat adjustment plans: the JD-U will contest 122 seats and the BJP, 121. On the alliance’s chief ministerial candidate, the two lead partners declared there are no ifs and buts about the leadership of the incumbent, Nitish Kumar. As per the seat arrangement, the JD-U will adjust the Jitan Ram Manjhi-led Hindustan Awami Morcha (HAM) from its quota while the BJP will leave seats for the Vikassheel Insan Party (VIP) of Mukesh Sahini, who exited the opposition Grand Alliance a few days ago. The BJP may end up contesting more seats since it is reportedly negotiating for three-four seats with the VIP On the other . hand, HAM will get seven seats from the JD-U’s share. Deputy CM Sushil Kumar Modi sought to set at rest all doubts over the post-poll leadership issue, saying the NDA would form the government with Nitish in the saddle. State BJP chief Sanjay Jaiswal went so far as to say the party could write to the Election Commission against the use of names and pictures of the party leaders in poll campaigns by anyone outside the NDA — a clear hint at the LJP, which has announced N A U S H A D B I J A P U R @ Belagavi Staffer assaulted during CBI raids, DKS tells seer EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @ Bengaluru A day after he said CBI officials were more professional than the Enforcement Directorate, following the raids on his properties, KPCC president D K Shivakumar told Spatikapuri Mutt seer Nanjavadhoota Swami that a personal staffer of his was roughed up during the raids. However, responding to queries by TNIE later, Shivakumar said that he was only informed about his staffer being roughed up by officials, but was yet to get more details about it. When asked if those who allegedly assaulted the staffer were officials of the CBI or Bengaluru police, Shivakumar added that he will not make public comments about the incident, lest it lead to ‘unfortunate outcomes’. “I do not want a repeat of what happened to G Parameshwara’s staff. I am getting more details about what happened and wouldn’t want to talk about it in public,” he said. Parameshwara’s staffer Ramesh had committed suicide in 2019 following a raid on the Congress P4 leader’s properties. HOURS after the Goa Government filed a contempt petition in the Supreme Court alleging that Karnataka had diverted Mahadayi river water under the Mahadayi project, Water Resources Minister Ramesh Jarkiholi said the Karnataka Government will take necessary steps to respond to Goa’s allegations in court. The state has never resorted to illegal activities when it comes to the Mahadayi issue, he asserted. Speaking to TNIE, Jarkiholi said, “I will get details about the case and initiate necessary steps immediately.’’ He, however, said he was not aware of the petition or the allegations made by the neighbouring state. The State Government initiated several measures to expedite the implementation of Kalasa-Banduri project (part of Mahadayi project) once all the required per missions are obtained from the Centre, he stressed. On Tuesday Goa Chief Min, ister Pramod Sawant tweeted about filing of the contempt petition against Karnataka and said, “We (Goa government) will continue to fight for our rights.” The Goa government has claimed that it has produced photographic evidence to prove that Karnataka has already diverted the Mahadayi water though the matter is sub-judice. The Karnataka Government’s advocate in the apex court, Mohan Katarki, told TNIE that Goa’s petition will not have any impact, but added that he was yet to get details. A top official in the Karnataka Water Resources Department said, “I am sure that the petition government will not be admitted in the Supreme Court in the first place, as the Centre has already issued gazette notification for implementation of the Mahadayi project. Also, the Mahadayi Water Dispute Tribunal (MWDT) has awarded Karnataka its share of water.’’ P5 TODAY’S IPL MATCH KOLKATA VS CHENNAI Rohit Sharma & Co are the inform side with their middle-order firing on all cylinders. Facing them in Abu Dhabi this evening is RR, who are are showing some cracks after a confident start. ODDS : KOLKATA 22/23 | CHENNAI 10/11 LIVE: STAR SPORTS1/HOTSTAR @ 7.30PM Dolphin conservation area proposed off M’luru coast V I N C E N T D ’ S O U Z A @ Mangaluru THE Karnataka Forest Department (KFD) has proposed a dolphin conservation programme off the Mangaluru coast, which may take off in the near future. The Mangaluru Division of the Forest Department has submitted a five-year plan for dolphin conservation with major emphasis on survey and demarcation of the area, to begin with. There have been no reports of dolphins being sighted in the region in recent times, but several carcasses of dolphins have washed ashore. Last year, at least six Indian Humpback Dolphins were found washed up on beaches near Suratkal, which has triggered hopes of presence of the marine species which is protected under Scheduled 1 of the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972. Deputy Conservator of Forests, Mangaluru division, K Karikalan, said only on the basis of carcasses, they cannot conclude the presence of dolphins off the Mangaluru coast as the dead ones may have been washed ashore here from somewhere else. So they have proposed a survey involving experts from Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI), Fisheries College, Indian Coast Guard and others, to first find out whether P5 they are indeed present here and demarcate the area. Piyush Chawla (156) is five wickets shy of becoming second-most successful bowler in tournament. Lasith Malinga (170) and Amit Mishra (160) are ahead of him. EXPRESS READ Experts’ view sought on school reopening Bengaluru: With the Union Home Ministry issuing guidelines for the reopening of schools after October 15, and leaving the final decision to states and UTs, state’s Health Minister B Sriramulu said the education department has sought the view of health experts on the matter. P5 RBI’s new MPC to meet for 3-days from today New Delhi: The newly-constituted Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank will begin its three-day deliberations on Wednesday amid expectations that the central bank this time around may refrain from changing the benchmark lending rates. The decision of the rate-setting panel will be announced on October 9.
Express Network Private Limited publishes thirty three E-paper editions of The New Indian Express newspaper , thirty two E-paper editions of Dinamani, one E-paper edition of The Morning Standard, one E-paper edition of Malayalam Vaarika magazine and one E-paper edition of the Indulge - The Morning Standard, Kolkatta.