BHUBANESWAR l monday l december 06, 2021 l `7.00 l PAGES 12 l JEYPORE EDITION Actor Jacqueline stopped from leaving the country Officials stop Jacqueline Fernandez at Mumbai airport over a look-out notice on a `200-crore money laundering case A file image of Sukesh Chandrasekhar being arrested by Delhi Police | pti Recipient of conman’s expensive gifts? Nora mentioned in chargesheet too The Bollywood actor was named in an ED chargesheet filed on Saturday against smooth-talking conman Sukesh Chandrasekhar, who has a long record of duping the rich. The ED said the 32-year-old sent Jacqueline lavish gifts worth `10 crore, including a `52-lakh horse and a Persian cat valued at `9 lakh. On Sunday, Jacqueline was to fly to Dubai for a show ■ ■ The ED has charged Sukesh, a Bengaluru native, as well as his wife, actor Leena Maria Paul, for extorting `200 crore from a businessman’s wife while he was lodged in Delhi’s Tihar jail Sukesh also sent gifts to actor Nora Fatehi. Recently, pictures of Sukesh and Jacqueline being casually intimate went viral online `1 crore worth of gifts that included a BMW car sent to Nora, reports say CHENNAI ■ MADURAI ■ VIJAYAWADA ■ BENGALURU ■ KOCHI ■ HYDERABAD ■ VISAKHAPATNAM ■ COIMBATORE ■ KOZHIKODE ■ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM ■ BELAGAVI ■ BHUBANESWAR ■ SHIVAMOgGA ■ MANGALURU ■ TIRUPATI ■ TIRUCHY ■ TIRUNELVELI ■ SAMBALPUR ■ HUBBALLI ■ DHARMAPURI ■ KOTTAYAM ■ KANNUR ■ VILLUPURAM ■ KOLLAM ■ WARANGAL ■ TADEPALLIGUDEM ■ NAGAPATTINAM ■ THRISSUR ■ KALABURAGI Superspreader fears 17 new Omicron cases push India’s tally to 21 Express News Service @ New Delhi, Mumbai, Jaipur On a day the national capital reported its first Omicron case, Maharashtra had seven new cases and Rajasthan nine. All of Sunday’s cases were foreign returnees, mainly from Africa. With this, India’s tally has gone up to 21. The first person to test positive for the new coronavirus variant in Delhi had stayed in Johannesburg for week, before which he had travelled to Tanzania. Fully vaccinated and showing only mild symptoms, he has been admitted to the Lok Nayak Hospital — Delhi’s dedicated Omicron treatment centre. In Rajasthan, four of the nine Omicron cases are from the same family Officials said . they came from South Africa recently. “They do not have cough, fever, cold, soreness or other symptoms,” said Dr Ajit Singh, superintendent of the hospital where the patients are admitted. However, Jaipur authorities are worried as those infected with Omicron attended a marriage on November 28, two-three days before testing positive. Last year, some weddings were superspreader events for the virus. Of the new Omicron cases in Maharashtra, six are from PimpriChinchwad near Pune and one from Pune. A 44-year-old woman and her daughters came to PimpriChinchwad from Nigeria on November 24 to meet her 45-year-old brother and his two kids. All six tested positive for Omicron. The Pune case is a 47-year-old man who had returned from Finland. Omicron is a heavily mutated version of SARS-CoV-2 that has sparked a global scare that the pandemic is being prolonged. NATIONWIDE dec 04 dec 05 Fresh cases Recoveries Deaths odisha 8,603 8,895 Fresh cases 8,190 6,918 Recoveries 415 2,796 Deaths dec 04 dec 05 193 257 02 189 212 02 Encounter goes horribly wrong in Nagaland, 15 civilians killed P r a s a n ta M a z u m d a r @ Guwahati A blundered ambush by security forces on Saturday evening and its fallout led to the killing of 15 civilians in Nagaland’s Mon district, forcing the state government and the Army to order independent probes. Saturday’s civilian toll of 13 climbed after two others were killed when a mob of over 1,000 people attacked an Assam Rifles camp in Mon town, torching its canteen, gate etc. Several apex tribal organisations decided to withdraw from the state’s ongoing Hornbill festival in protest. Official sources said four of the six civilians injured during Saturday’s violence were admitted to a hospital in Mon while the remaining two were taken to Assam Medical College and Hospital in Dibrugarh. Local tribal organisations claimed 11 persons were injured and two were reported missing. Given the volatile situation and the likely breach of public peace and tranquility the state , government suspended mobile internet/data service/bulk SMS in the entire Mon district. The district administration prohibited the gathering of more than five persons at a time in public An Assam Rifles camp in Mon town of Nagaland on fire after a mob attack on Sunday, following the killing of civilians by mistake the previous day | Special arrangement Deepest condolences to the families of those who have lost their lives. A high-level SIT constituted by the state govt will thoroughly probe this incident to ensure justice to the bereaved families Amit Shah, Union home minister under Section 144 of the CrPC. Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio, who was in Delhi, rushed to Nagaland. Later in the evening, he chaired a meeting of his cabinet. He will visit Mon on Monday to attend the funeral. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi tweeted, “This is heart wrenching. GOI must give a real reply What exactly is the home . ministry doing when neither civilians nor security personnel are safe in our own land?” In what looks like a total intelligence failure, defence per- sonnel had ambushed eight daily wa g ers at Oting after mistaking them as militants. The victims were returning home in a pick-up truck from a coal mine on Saturday around 5 pm. Six of the civilians were killed and two others injured, a senior district official said requesting anonymity . When locals heard the sound of gunshots, they rushed to the area, leading to a retaliatory attack in which seven more civilians were killed. An Army jawan, who was g rievously injured, succumbed to his injuries. The locals also set ablaze vehicles of defence personnel. On Sunday morning, Nagaland’s Dimapur-based 3 Corps issued a statement stating that a specific operation was planned to be conducted in the area of Tiru in Mon based on credible intelligence of the likely movement of insurgents. “The cause of the unfortunate loss of lives is being investigated at the highest level,” it said, adding members of the security forces, too, suffered severe injuries. When pictures and videos of the slain civilians went viral on social media, it triggered a public outrage. People registered their protests out on the streets in some parts of the state. In commercial hub Dimapur, hundreds of them congregated outside the district magistrate’s office and staged a protest. The Naga Students’ Federation unfurled its flag at halfmast in protest against the killings. Insurgent group NSCN-IM, the key player in the Naga peace talks, described it as “black day” for the Nagas. “It is learned the killing was the work of the trigger-happy 21st Para Commandos/Assam Rifles,” the outfit said in a statement. express read Farmer ends life as rain kills crop Berhampur: A 57-year-old farmer in Ganjam’s Patrapur block allegedly ended his life on Sunday over crop loss due to the heavy rains that caused widespread damage across the State. The deceased was identified as Kailash Sabar of Uluma village in Patrapur’s Turubudi panchayat | P4 Stormy winter session likely to end sooner Bhubaneswar: Even as BJP and Congress are determined to continue staging protests over the Mamita Meher murder case, the winter session of the Assembly is likely to be curtailed and adjourned after the Appropriation Bill for the first supplementary budget is passed in the House on December 10 | P3
Express Network Private Limited publishes thirty three E-paper editions of The New Indian Express newspaper , thirty two E-paper editions of Dinamani, one E-paper edition of The Morning Standard, one E-paper edition of Malayalam Vaarika magazine and one E-paper edition of the Indulge - The Morning Standard, Kolkatta.