BELAGAVI FRIDAY MAY 22, 2026 `9.00 PAGES 14 LATE CITY EDITION PULWAMA ‘CONSPIRATOR’ BURHAN SHOT DEAD BY UNKNOWN MEN IN PoK A key accused in the 2019 Pulwama attack, Hamza Burhan alias ‘Doctor’, was shot dead in Pakistanoccupied Kashmir, Indian intelligence officials said FILE PIC WAS DESIGNATED A TERRORIST BY MHA IN 2022 Burhan, identified as Arjumand Gulzar Dar from Pulwama in Jammu and Kashmir, was allegedly shot by unidentified gunmen in Muzaffarabad, sustaining multiple bullet injuries that proved fatal, officials added. Burhan was designated a terrorist by the Union home ministry in 2022 under UAPA, following findings by NIA in its probe into the Pulwama attack ■ ISI SUPPLIED EXPLOSIVES TO TERRORISTS ■ The February 14, 2019 suicide bombing at Lethpora in Pulwama district killed 40 CRPF personnel after a JeM operative rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into a security convoy Investigators alleged Burhan played a crucial logistical role in the attack by supplying explosives and grenades to the terrorists BURHAN HAD CLOSE TIES WITH ISI AND WAS ASSOCIATED WITH AL-BADR TERROR OUTFIT CHENNAI ■ MADURAI ■ VIJAYAWADA ■ BENGALURU ■ KOCHI ■ HYDERABAD ■ VISAKHAPATNAM ■ COIMBATORE ■ KOZHIKODE ■ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM ■ BELAGAVI ■ BHUBANESWAR ■ SHIVAMOGGA ■ MANGALURU ■ TIRUPATI ■ TIRUCHY ■ TIRUNELVELI ■ SAMBALPUR ■ HUBBALLI ■ DHARMAPURI ■ KOTTAYAM ■ KANNUR ■ VILLUPURAM ■ KOLLAM ■ TADEPALLIGUDEM ■ NAGAPATTINAM ■ THRISSUR ■ KALABURAGI India-Africa meet postponed over Ebola virus scare US offers ‘separate treatment’ for India under Sec 232 probe Workers cover themselves from the scorching heat during the heatwave in UP’s Prayagraj on Thursday | PTI P U S H P I TA D E Y @ New Delhi Decision after fresh outbreak in DR Congo; fliers from affected countries to be screened E X P R E S S N E W S S E R V I C E @ New Delhi INDIA and the African Union have postponed the Fourth India–Africa Forum Summit, originally scheduled to be held in New Delhi from May 28 to 31, amid growing concerns over the Ebola outbreak in parts of Africa. The decision comes at a time when India was preparing to unveil an ambitious roadmap to deepen its strategic, economic and developmental partnership with the African continent after a gap of nearly a decade. In a statement issued on Thursday the Min, istry of External Affairs (MEA) said India and the African Union had held consultations on the “evolving health situation” in parts of Africa and agreed that it would be “advisable” to convene the summit at a later date. “Recognising the importance of ensuring the full participation and engagement of African leaders and stakeholders, and mindful of the emerging public health situation on the continent, consultations were held between the Government of India, the Chairperson of the African Union, and the African Union Commission regarding the holding of the summit and associated activities,” the MEA said. “Following these consultations, the two sides agreed that it would be advisable to convene the Fourth India-Africa Forum Summit at a later date,” it added. The decision to postpone the summit was taken against the backdrop of a fresh outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which the World Health Organization has declared a public health emergency of international concern. More than 136 deaths have reportedly been linked to the outbreak so far. The summit was expected to bring together leaders from across Africa along with representatives of the African Union Commission to chart a broader framework for cooperation in sectors ranging from trade, energy and technology to healthcare, capacity building and digital infrastructure. Several African leaders had already confirmed their participation. The postponement of the summit will delay what was being viewed as a major diplomatic push by New Delhi to reinforce its engagement with the African region amid intensifying geopolitical competition for greater influence on the continent. The previous India-Africa Forum Summit was held in October 2015, while subsequent plans were disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic and shifting global priorities. The MEA said that India has reaffirmed its “solidarity with the peoples and governments of Africa” and expressed readiness to support Africa-led efforts in tackling the health crisis. Airports issue advisory All major international airports in India have issued health advisories for passengers arriving from Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and South Sudan, asking them to report symptoms or exposure history to airport health authorities before immigration clearance HEATWAVE ALERT Heatwave to severe heatwave conditions likely in Punjab, parts of Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi, east UP from May 21 to 27, says IMD Heat wave conditions in isolated pockets of Tamil Nadu, Puducherry & Karaikal on May 21, 22; Telangana from May 21-24; Odisha May 21-25 Vidarbha, coastal Andhra and Yanam expected to face heat wave conditions from May 21-25 Warm night conditions in isolated pockets over Odisha during May 21-25 Directorate General of Health Services Watch for symptoms for 21 days The Directorate General of Health Services said passengers must watch out for fever, weakness or fatigue, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, unexplained bleeding and sore throat. Also, those developing symptoms within 21 days arrival must report the same and seek medical care EXPRESS READ K’taka govt to introduce ‘Aadhaar’ for cattle soon Bengaluru: In a first-of-its-kind initiative in India, the Karnataka government will soon introduce digital identification for cattle, using muzzle biometrics, track vaccination records, health status, and insurance or death-related claims. The barcode-based identification system is expected to replace traditional ear tags and will act like Aadhaar for cattle | P4 AMID the row over the cancelled NEET-UG exams, top officials of the National Testing Agency (NTA) came under intense scrutiny from a Parliamentary panel on Thursday over the question paper leak and related irregularities. According to sources, NTA Director General Abhishek Singh informed the panel that the question paper was not leaked through the agency’s system, adding that the CBI is currently investigating the breach. The panel summoned the of- ficials amid multiple arrests by the CBI, which included teachers and intermediaries allegedly linked to the question paper leak prior to the exam. AN Air India Airbus A321 aircraft suffered a tail strike while landing at Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport on Thursday after encountering wake turbulence caused by a departing Boeing 747 aircraft, sources said. The Air India flight AI2651, operating from Delhi to Bengaluru, was approaching the runway when a Boeing 747, known for its massive size and engine thrust, took off ahead of it from the same runway the sources added. , Sources said the larger aircraft generated strong “wake turbulence”, a phenomenon caused by disturbed air currents left behind by an aircraft during takeoff. “It was not weather-related turbulence or gusty winds. This was a case of wake turbulence,” a source said. According to sources, the pilot realised the aircraft was being affected by the turbulence and immediately decided to abort the landing and carry out a precautionary goaround manoeuvre. During the manoeuvre, the aircraft’s tail struck the runway The incident oc. curred between 11 am and noon. “The pilot was cautious enough to immediately take a goaround call. It was the right thing to do,” the source added, noting that the incident was not attributed to pilot error. tors such as steel, aluminium, automobiles, aircraft and their parts, semiconductors and pharmaceuticals. These tariffs currently range between 10% and 50% on a range of strategic products. Some Indian exports, including steel, aluminium, and autoparts face tariffs of 2550% under Section 232. Generic pharmaceuticals, however, currently attract no tariff. In the India-US joint statement signed in February 2025, the US had agreed to provide During the meeting of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education, Women, Children, Youth and Sports, several opposition MPs grilled the NTA officials on the steps they have taken to strengthen the exam system. Sources said that when MPs questioned how the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (Undergraduate) paper was leaked, Singh responded that it had not been compromised through the NTA system. Several MPs then pressed him on how the leak occurred and why the exam had to be cancelled and a retest conducted. Singh, however, said that the matter is being probed by the CBI. According to sources, some opposition MPs demanded that the investigation report be shared with the panel, but BJP members argued that the CBI should be allowed to complete its probe without interference. Sources said that the Parliamentary panel’s chairperson, Congress MP Digvijaya Singh, raised objections to comments made by Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan during a May 15 press meet regarding the standing committee. Govt may soon approach SC against SIR process E X P R E S S N E W S S E R V I C E @Bengaluru THE state cabinet on Thursday discussed multiple strategies, including approaching the Supreme Court, to counter the scheduled Special Intensive Revision (SIR). Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister HK Patil said the cabinet meeting discussed all possibilities on SIR and a final decision will be taken in three to four days. Sources in the government said the CM and other leaders will discuss it on Sunday and the final decision will likely be taken by May 25. Patil told reporters that it was felt that the Supreme Court can be approached even as the process is on now, or after the final voter list is published. “We will discuss it over the next three days and arrive at a decision,” he said. Landing at KIA, AI flight suffers tail strike E X P R E S S N E W S S E R V I C E @Bengaluru Commerce and industry minister Piyush Goyal said a US delegation is expected to visit India next month for further negotiations on the proposed agreement. This follows the talks held in April in Washington between Indian and US officials India with “negotiated outcomes with respect to generic pharmaceuticals and ingredients”, contingent on the findings of the Section 232 probe. “So comparatively, when I look at our terms of settlement, the terms are better than any competitor for India,” the source added. Indian negotiators have been pushing for product-specific relaxations as part of the broader bilateral trade discussions. The development comes at a time when India and the US are continuing negotiations for a proposed bilateral trade agreement, with both sides aiming to conclude an interim arrangement before moving towards a broader pact. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio will visit India from May 23 to 26. The four-day visit, his first visit to India since taking office, will focus on trade, defence and energy cooperation. NEET-UG: NTA officials face scrutiny from MPs P R E E T H A N A I R @ New Delhi Passengers with symptoms must immediately report to airport health officer or health desk before immigration clearance IN the ongoing trade talks with the US, India has secured relatively favourable terms on several items facing investigation under Section 232, including pharmaceutical products, auto parts and aircraft components, a commerce ministry source familiar with the matter said. “As far as certain other products are concerned which are under Section 232 investigation, there is a separate treatment for them also. We have got exemption for aircraft parts and, to some extent, on auto parts. We also have a framework to work on generic pharma,” the source told TNIE. Under Section 232 of the US Trade Expansion Act of 1962, the US government can impose tariffs on imports on grounds of national security concerns. Washington has invoked the provision to levy duties on sec- Delegation coming An Air India spokesperson said, “Flight AI2651 landed safely , and all passengers and crew disembarked normally .” The airline said the aircraft has been grounded for inspection and the incident will be investigated in accordance with established procedures. As a result of the incident, the return flight AI2652 from Bengaluru to Delhi was cancelled. “Alternative arrangements are being made to accommodate affected passengers at the earliest,” the spokesperson said. Air India also expressed regret and reiterated that the safety of passengers and crew remained its “highest priority”. Patil said the government’s concern is to prevent any attempt at depriving voters of their electoral rights. “If any voter’s rights are being curtailed or taken away we want , to stop such a process,” he said. Raising concerns over transparency in SIR, Patil pointed to the deletion of voters in other states and said such actions would affect public confidence in the electoral system. Asked why the government is considering moving the Supreme Court, instead of approaching the Election Commission of India (ECI), Patil said, “The door that is open for us is the Supreme Court.” The government has identified 10-12 concerns related to the process, he said, declining to disclose details. Discussions with Chief Minister Siddaramaiah are still on and the final decision is expected by May 25. P4 Entry of tourists banned at jumbo camps in K’taka E X P R E S S N E W S S E R V I C E @ Shivamogga THE forest department has temporarily banned tourists from entering all elephant camps across the state following the death of a woman at the Dubare elephant camp on May 18. Vijaykumar, Assistant Conservator of Forest, said on Thursday that given the need to ensure the safety of visitors, Standard Operating Procedures are being prepared. “Until then, the department has prohibited the entry of public into elephant camps,” he said. The order issued on May 21 will remain in force till further notice. MODI MEETS MINISTERS AMID SHUFFLE BUZZ Amid speculation over a Cabinet reshuffle after the NDA government completes 12 years in office on June 7, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday chaired a crucial meeting of the Council of Ministers Gruha Lakshmi money not paid, 2 beneficiaries approach HC EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE @Bengaluru West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari prostrates before monks during a visit to Belur Math, in Howrah district on Thursday | PTI Vande Mataram made mandatory at madrasahs recognised by WB govt S U B H E N D U M A I T I @ Kolkata MANDATORY singing of Vande Mataram is not just confined to schools in West Bengal, the fiat extends to all madrasahs that are sponsored, aided and recognised by the state government as well. Replaces The West Bengal Directorate of Tagore song Madrasah Education issued a diBanglar Mati rective on May 19 to district magBanglar Jol istrates, secretary of West Bengal Board of Madrasah Education Vande Mataram and other offices related to mareplaces the state drasah education directing them song, Banglar Mati to implement the singing of Vande Banglar Jol, Mataram in all madrasahs during composed by morning assembly prayers manRabindranath datorily with immediate effect. Tagore in 1905 in “Singing of Vande Mataram school assemblies. will henceforth be mandatory in The Tagore song all recognised madrasahs as well. was introduced by Why should it not be mandatory the erstwhile Trinamool Congress in madrasahs at a time when other recognised schools in the state government led by do the same?” wondered Mamata Banerjee Khsudiram Tudu, state minority affairs and madrasah education minister. The BJP government had on May 14 directed its mandatory singing during assembly prayers in all institutions under the school education department. TWO beneficiaries of the ‘Gruhalakshmi’ guarantee scheme have moved the Karnataka High Court, seeking directions to the state government to release the arrears for February and March of 2025. The petitioners pointed out that the amounts were not released despite Women and Child Development Minister Laxmi Hebbalkar admitting on the floor of the Legislative Assembly that p ay m e n t s h a d n o t b e e n disbursed. A vacation division bench of Justices Suraj Govindaraj and K Manmadha Rao on Thursday issued notice to the principal secretaries of the Finance Department, Panchayat Raj Department and Director of the Department of Women and Child Development, and posted the matter to June 4 to allow the state to file its response. The court was hearing the petition filed by R Ganga and G D Pavithra, seeking an urgent hearing for the release of the arrears, Rs 2,000 each per month, which is given to the woman head of each household. They stated that the arrears remain unpaid despite budgetary allocation and continuation of the scheme for 2025-26. This caused severe hardship to women dependent on the scheme for basic household expenses and livelihood, they stated. They requested the court to issue directions to the state to keep the money in an escrow account during the pendency of the petition. P7
Express Network Private Limited publishes thirty three E-paper editions of The New Indian Express newspaper , thirty two E-paper editions of Dinamani, one E-paper edition of The Morning Standard, one E-paper edition of Malayalam Vaarika magazine and one E-paper edition of the Indulge - The Morning Standard, Kolkatta.