BHUBANESWAR l saturday l February 21, 2026 l `9.00 l PAGES 14 l LATE CITY EDITION No cash payments at national highway toll plazas from April Starting April, cash transactions may not be accepted at NHAI toll plazas, aiming to create a fully digital National Highway toll ecosystem will aid transparency, says centre The ministry of road transport and highways (MoRTH) on Friday said the transition will help to enhance ‘Ease of Commuting’ for highway users by improving lane throughput, reducing congestion at fee plazas and bringing greater consistency and transparency in toll transactions. Users are most likely to only be allowed to pay the road toll through digital or UPI mode ■ 1,150 looking at cutting cash transactions ■ As per current National Highway fee rules, vehicles entering a toll plaza without a valid, functional FASTag are charged twice the applicable user fee, if paid in cash, and 1.25 times from UPI mode These initiatives have collectively advanced the objective of reducing dependency on cash transactions and digitizing the toll framework toll plazas across the country are likely to be affected CHENNAI ■ MADURAI ■ VIJAYAWADA ■ BENGALURU ■ KOCHI ■ HYDERABAD ■ VISAKHAPATNAM ■ COIMBATORE ■ KOZHIKODE ■ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM ■ BELAGAVI ■ BHUBANESWAR ■ SHIVAMOgGA ■ MANGALURU ■ TIRUPATI ■ TIRUCHY ■ TIRUNELVELI ■ SAMBALPUR ■ HUBBALLI ■ DHARMAPURI ■ KOTTAYAM ■ KANNUR ■ VILLUPURAM ■ KOLLAM ■ TADEPALLIGUDEM ■ NAGAPATTINAM ■ THRISSUR ■ KALABURAGI Bigger and Better: Majhi’s viksit odisha vision Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi presents Odisha’s highest-ever budget size of 3.1 lakh crore, says it is anchored in the principles of Lokanka Unnati, Rajyara Pragati b i j ay c h a k i @ Bhubaneswar New Initiatives VB-G RAM G amruddha Anganwadi S Jojana 100 Smart Farm Markets ukhyamantri Kanya M Sumangal Yojana hief Minister Smart City C Mission orld’s Largest Grain W Storage Plan Rare Earth Corridor SITI-Odisha onnectivity to C Unconnected Habitations agannath Interpretation J Centre at Puri orld Tourism Center W (WTC) at Puri State AI Mission ourism Land Bank T Scheme DALKHAI hief Minister’s Economic C Advisory Council Fit Odisha Mission The State Budget 2026-27 lays out a clear roadmap for inclusive growth, reflecting the collective aspirations of Annadatas, Narishakti, youth, and every stakeholder in the state’s progress Mohan Charan Majhi, Chief Minister budget size Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi on Friday presented a `3.1 lakh crore annual budget for 202627, the largest ever in the history of the state, with the government walking its talk on fast-paced development to achieve the Viksit Odisha milestones for 2036 and 2047. As he presented his third budget, which is 6.9 per cent bigger in size compared to last year’s `2.9 lakh crore, Majhi said: “The State Budget 2026-27 lays out a clear roadmap for inclusive growth, reflecting the collective aspirations of Annadatas (farmers), Narishakti (women), youth, and every stakeholder in the state’s progress.” Anchored in the idea of ‘Lokanka Unnati, Rajyara Pragati’ (People’s Welfare and State’s Progress), the budget rests on six pillars of progress - People First, Rural Empowerment, Prosperity for All, Our Legacy, Our Pride, Technology Leading the Way, and People-centric Governance. Majhi also announced 16 new initiatives with an allocation of `5,575 crore. The announcements included the establishment of a worldclass Shree Jagannath Interpretation Centre at Puri at an estimated cost of `1,000 crore. He also announced an allocation of `5 crore for the preparation of a detailed inventory of all the ornaments of the Ratna Bhandar of Lord Jagannath. Besides, Majhi also announced Mukhyamantri Kanya Sumangal Yojana, under which saving instruments of `20,000 will be created in the name of girls born in families belonging to economically weaker sections. The beneficiaries will be provided `100,001 on completion of graduation, he added. `3.1L cr express read India joins US-led ‘Pax Silica’ alliance New Delhi: India on Friday formally joined the Pax Silica coalition, which seeks to ensure strengthen strategic technology and supply chain cooperation between India and the US, while addressing China’s dominance in the critical minerals sector. The alliance is expected to bolster India’s growing role in the semiconductor sector | P9 Today’s Match 7pm: New Zealand vs Pakistan(Colombo) programme expenditure CM Mohan Charan Majhi showcasing the Budget document before placing it in the Assembly | Express The state budget also stayed fo- also announced to tweak the policused on industries and new tech cy for social security which would as State AI Mission received an al- cover over 6 lakh pending pension location of `23 crore while Rare beneficiaries. Earth Corridor got `10 crore, both “Rooted in the spirit of Antyothese in sync with the Centre’s daya, this budget reaffirms the forward-looking gover nment’s plans. commitment to ODISHA BUDGET A `240 crore ensure that degrain storage velopment reachplan, billed as the es the last mile world’s largest and DALKHAI and translates into dignity oppor, scheme to check distress migra- tunity, and shared prosperity for tion, estimated at `220 crore, re- all,” the CM said as he sought the flected the Majhi government’s cooperation of the people to implecommitment towards farm sector ment the six pillars of the developCONTINUED ON P7 . and livelihood generation. Majhi ment strategy `1.8L cr administrative expenditure `1.14L cr fiscal deficit `38.8K cr Home ministry invokes Official Secrets Act to secure currency printing office m u k e s h r a n j a n @ New Delhi All about OSA THE Centre has designated the headquarters of the Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Limited (SPMCIL) in the national capital as a “prohibited place” under the provisions of the Official Secrets Act, 1923. The decision is aimed at reinforcing security at the strategic installation and preventing any unauthorised access that could compromise sensitive information or cause damage to the premises, officials said. They said that the move is preventive in nature and intended to strengthen safeguards around the Under the OSA, areas designated as prohibited are subject to heightened security restrictions. Unauthorised access, photography, sketching, or collection of information in such premises can attract stringent penal provisions under the Act facility and noted that any breach of information or harm to the headquarters could potentially be exploited by forces inimical to India’s interests. By bringing the premises under the ambit of the Official Secrets Act, authorities have sought to create a stronger legal deterrent against trespassing, espionage or other security violations. The order also clarified that it supersedes an earlier notification dated February 15, 2022, except in cases where actions have already been taken under the previous directive. The notified premises comprise the SPMCIL Headquarters Office located in Tower-G of the World Trade Centre at Nauroji Nagar in Delhi. A wholly owned Schedule ‘A’ Miniratna Category-I company, SPMCIL was incorporated on January 13, 2006, and manufactures currency notes coins. SC directs use of judicial officers in Bengal SIR s u c h i t r a k a lya n m o h a n t y @ New Delhi IN a dramatic turn of events, the Supreme Court on Friday directed for deployment of judicial officers, including retired judges, for easy and smooth conduct of the special intensive revision (SIR) exercise in West Bengal, after noting that there was a clear lack of cooperation between the State government and the Election Commission of India (ECI). The court said it had to pass the “extraordinary order” due to “extraordinary circumstances.” The court requested the Calcutta High Court Chief Justice Sujoy Paul to allot serving and former judicial officers in the rank of district judges or above for SIR duties. Chief Justice Paul has been asked to convene a meeting on Saturday to be attended by Chief Sec, retary, DGP, official from the EC, Advocate General of the state, Additional Solicitor General of the Centre and Registrar General of the high court on the issue. “There is an unfortunate blame game of allegations and counter allegations which shows trust deficit between the WB government and the ECI. Now the process is stuck at the stage of claims and objections of the persons who have been included in the logical discrepancy list,” said a threejudge bench of Chief Justice of India Surya Kant and justices Joymalya Bagchi and Justice Vipin Pancholi. Directing to appoint judicial officers to adjudicate claims and objections in the SIR process in WB, the top court clarfied that it was left with no other option but to involve the state judiciary for conclusion of the SIR exercise in Bengal. The court was hearing a batch of pleas challenging the ECI’s exercise of electoral rolls in West Bengal, where ECI submitted that they were not being provided wellqualified officers to conduct SIR. US SC strikes down Trump’s global tariffs P u s h p i ta D e y & J aya n t h j a c o b @ New Delhi IN a landmark judgment with significant implications for India’s trade outlook, the US Supreme Court has ruled that President Donald Trump acted beyond his legal authority in imposing sweeping global tariffs under emergency powers. The court held that tariffs are effectively taxes and the Constitution assigns taxation powers to the Congress, not the President. In a 6-3 decision authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court held that the use of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) to introduce broad-based tariffs lacked Congressional authorisation. The justices ruled that IEEPA did not grant the power to the President to impose tariffs on trading partners. The court emphasized that the law of imposing tariff is only meant for use in national emergencies. Trump reacted furiously, alleging that the court was influenced by “foreign interests”. He also announced a 10% “global tariff ” under a trade law known as Section 122. In light of the US court ruling, more than half of the Indian exports will not have to pay even the 18% tariff and, therefore, India may choose not to rush to sign the Bilateral Trade Agreement, say experts. “Removal of reciprocal tariffs will free about 55% of India’s exports to the US from the 18% duty, leaving them subject only to standard MFN (most favoured nation) tariffs. On the remaining exports, Section 232 tariffs will continue — 50% on steel and aluminium and 25% on certain auto components — while products accounting for roughly 40% of export value, including smartphones, petroleum products and medicines, will remain exempt from US tariffs,” said Ajay Srivastava, founder of Global Trade Research Initiative. “The US had agreed to reduce reciprocal tariffs on India to 18%, which shall no longer remain relevant following the Court’s decision. This is also likely pave the way for potential refunds of tariffs collected without adequate legal basis,” said Manoj Mishra, partner and tax controversy management leader at Grant Thornton Bharat. (With agency inputs) I’m ashamed of certain members of the court, absolutely ashamed, for not having the courage to do what’s right for our country Donald Trump Refunds could be a mess The Treasury had collected more than $133 billion from the import tariffs Trump imposed. But Supreme Court did not clarify whether companies that paid tariffs can get a refund Critics welcome SC ruling Opponents of the tariffs are cheering it. ‘We Pay the Tariffs’ a coalition of businesses, called it a tremendous win SHIRTLESS PROTEST e X P R ESS NE W S SE R V ICE @ New Delhi A group of Indian Youth Congress workers on Friday staged a bizarre, shirtless protest at the India AI Impact Summit, shouting slogans against the government and the India-US trade deal before being confronted by members of the public and escorted away by security personnel. The protesters were seen waving white T-shirts printed with images of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump. Police said they had registered online and obtained QR codes to enter the venue. They allegedly concealed the T-shirts under their jackets and pulled them out dramatically when they reached Hall No. 5. The protest drew a sharp reaction from the BJP with party spokesperson Sambit , Patra saying, “For the Congress, I have just three words—topless, brainless and shameless.” IYC national president Uday Bhanu Chib defended the action, saying, “Peaceful protest is our right in a democracy, and we will continue to raise the voice of the youth.”
Express Network Private Limited publishes thirty three E-paper editions of The New Indian Express newspaper , thirty two E-paper editions of Dinamani, one E-paper edition of The Morning Standard, one E-paper edition of Malayalam Vaarika magazine and one E-paper edition of the Indulge - The Morning Standard, Kolkatta.